Church Administrative Assistant
Christ Community United Methodist Church, a growing congregation of nearly 600 members in Selinsgrove, PA is seeking to hire a Church Administrative Assistant. This future self-starting team member will be a courteous and highly organized individual that will maintain the administration of four key areas: Communication, Membership, Worship, and Facilities.
C.C.U.M.C. values a team approach to ministry. It is essential that the Church Administrative Assistant work cooperatively with all parishioners, staff members, visitors, and guests of C.C.U.M.C. Likewise, it is essential that the Church Administrative Assistant be discreet in all manner of conversation, including and especially pastor/parishioner confidentiality. Additionally, a familiarity with, or willingness to learn, United Methodist Church polity (i.e. structure and vocabulary) will be essential to this position.
The general administrative duties of the Church Administrative Assistant may be divided as follows: Communication, Membership, Worship, and Facilities. The following general duties (while not exhaustive) provide some direction in achieving the desired administrative outcome:
- Serve as Receptionist: welcome and direct visitors and guests during regular office hours; answer telephone, providing pertinent and appropriate information to callers.
- Maintain Church Calendar: to include the scheduling of all meetings and activities. Likewise, regularly update the website calendar.
- Keep all correspondence current: checking and responding to email, U.S. mail, and deliveries. When necessary, travel to post office for bulk mailing.
- Prepare and distribute monthly Church Newsletter.
- Send welcome letter to visitors.
- Place Advertisements in the local newspapers for special events (i.e. Christmas, Easter, V.B.S., etc.)
- Prepare and distribute the annual church directory (with help from volunteers).
- Call committee members with reminders about regularly scheduled meetings of: Administrative Council, Finance Committee, Missions Committee, Lay Leadership Committee, Staff Parish Relations Committee, Trustees, Worship Committee, and any others as designated by the Pastor.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Prepare Certificates of Liability for ministries and missions that leave the church premises (i.e. Handbells, Youth Trips, C.O.O.L. Picnic, etc.)
- Provide a copy of PA Tax Exempt form when requested.
- Copy and/or type (as time permits) for staff and volunteers.
- Record attendance weekly for Worship services and Sunday School in “Church Windows” and for the Susquehanna Annual Conference.
- Record new members, baptisms, transfers (in or out), death and marriages in membership book and in “Church Windows”.
- Prepare membership figures for the Pastor to be used in preparation for Annual Conference Statistical Reports.
- Maintain and prepare an annual list of high school and college graduates.
- Update change of address, phone numbers, etc. for the Membership Roll
- Serve as the Administrative Assistant to the Administrative Council and to the Annual Church Conference.
- Record any additional membership issues as determined by the Pastor.
- Prepare bulletins for weekly worship services (i.e. type, proofread, print and fold).
- Prepare special bulletins and inserts (i.e. Weddings, Funerals, Holy Week and Christmas Eve).
- Prepare additional bulletin inserts as necessary and requested (i.e. Poinsettia and Easter flowers).
- Prepare Certificates for Baptism, Church Membership, and Marriage
- Prepare annual All Saints Day list and send to the Acolyte Coordinator (i.e. type sheets with phone number(s) of relative to invite them to the service).
- Prepare and mail the scripture lesson to be read during weekly worship to reader(s) (the Scripture Coordinator contacts readers).
- Coordinate the use of facilities for visitors and guests by supplying interested parties with the Facilities Use Form, approving the submitted form(s), and placing date of use on the Church Calendar.
- Distribute all keys for the church, tables/chairs, wheelchairs, etc. to church members as requested. Keys must be signed out and returned.
- Maintain an updated key list (both of what key goes to which door, and who has a key).
- Purchase office and other church supplies as needed and requested.
- Contact repair technicians (i.e. plumber, electrician, etc.) as directed by the Pastor, Chair or Member of the Board of Trustees, or as common sense dictates.
- Keep track of new equipment and update any improvements made to existing equipment
- Schedule piano tuning twice yearly.
- The Church Administrative Assistant is accountable to the Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee of C.C.U.M.C.
- Direct staffing supervision will come from the Pastor of C.C.U.M.C.
- On-Site Hours: Monday-Friday (Hours to be determined).
Applicants interested in this position may email a Cover Letter and resume to Mrs. Candace Willard, Chair of the Staff Parish Relations Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 26, 2017.